Asa Janney:

>It appears to me that price rationing is not allowed, unless the
situation becomes permanent.  Why is this? <

It is a matter of a moment for a city council, or governor, to declare
that rationing is over.  Changing the price is likely to take much
longer -- or never happen.

>nonprice rationing must be popular among noneconomists.  Is it so
because everyone feels better perceiving that her neighbor has to bear
some pain of the shortage, too?  Does the political popularity arise
from the feeling of shared burden?  With price rationing, those with
lower incomes who perceive that they have to cut down on their
consumption more, grumble that the rich still get to water their lawns.
No matter that the rich are paying the higher price, too - that is not
perceived as so much of a sacrifice as doing without.<

Yes, the rich are paying the higher price, and no doubt using more
water, for their golf-green lawns etc.  But I suspect they notice the
additional expense list, don't you?

Michael

Michael E. Etchison
Texas Wholesale Power Report