Alex Tabarrok wrote:
>I agree with John's analysis of charity and signalling. I add only that
>a more plausible reason than the two that John gave for why people
>don't mow lawns is that lawn mowing is a private good and racing a
>public good. In other words, I can collect a donation from many people
>for racing but few people will pay me to mow my own lawn (or anyone
>else's)!

Races are public goods?!  How do I benefit if some other people run
a race with each other?   Is this just due to some externality that
healthy people produce in general?

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323