In a message dated 10/13/02 11:00:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Should only corporate science be considered private

science?

~Alypius Skinner >>

For that matter, not all corporate science would be purely private either,
since some of it probably gets directly subsidized and some of it indirectly
so.  I'm sure, for instance, that Archer Daniel Midland (which bills itself
as "Supermarket to the World" but which I think of as "Airline to Bob Dole
since it used to fly him around the country to campaign for the GOP
nomination in 1995 and 1996) does scientific agricultural research, but it
also, as I  understand it, collects millions of dollars in ethanol subsidies.

With the widespread intrusion of the federal government into the lives and
business of everyone, it might be fruitful to consider a spectrum of research
spanning the gamut from purely private to purely governmental rather than
considering just the two extremes.

David Levenstam
GMU