Sorry so long.

> From: john hull [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Which hits on my original remark: if we have two types
> of scientists, Basic & Applied, and if business is the

Bad premise. Research labor is very non-specific. That's not to say that
some engineers and scientists prefer doing "basic" vs. "applied"
research -- they do. But, our personal preferences are not necessarily
what we get to do at work. I have met some really good basic researchers
that work in industry on applied projects (I know they're good because I
have read their MS and PhD theses/dissertations and/or talked to their
former professors).

> only funder of research, then the firms will be hiring
> both types since the Basics will portray themselves as
> Applieds to get jobs.  With gov't. funding basic
> research, then the Basics get to do basic research at
> taxpayer expense, but the firms can apply the Applieds
> to applied research at greater efficiency because
> there are no Basics getting in the way.

Even granting your premise of the highly specific scientist/engineer
classes, personal preference (to be doing one type of work) does not
imply comparative advantage. And, more importantly, in my experience,
there is a need to have engineers and scientists that are both
"applied-thinking" and "basic-thinking" on the team. The combination
results in synergies, and segregrating the two types results in
inefficiencies.

> The economic
> benefits of this separation outweighs the cost of
> paying for basic research.  The world is better off.

This is certainly an unwarranted leap of logic for the reasons cited
above, but also because it is highly unscientific to claim that the
disutility to taxpayers is outweighed by the productivity of increased
knowledge due to basic and/or applied research. By what standard do you
balance these factors? Further, you have not advanced a metric by which
we could discern whether the amount of basic research or total research
(basic + applied) is socially optimal.

> That's not to say that basic research is not valuable,
> but it evidently follows strange and unpredictable
> paths.

But, so does applied research. NASA has claimed many useful things that
have come from their programs.

----------------

I would also like to raise an objection to the supposed distinction
between basic and applied research. This is, at best, a conceptual
continuum with a fuziness akin to the economic distinction between goods
of the first order and goods of higher orders. Conceptually, it is easy
to imagine a specific process, such as tree->lumber->chair, but a tree
is also a consumer good, and so is lumber. Likewise for research. Is my
company's current work on Buckytubes (we have built and operate a pilot
plant that produces them, and we are attempting to produce more and
higher quality tubes, and recover them more efficiently) basic or
applied? What if an existing separation or production technology is
applied in such a way that leads to a fundamental discovery?

Applied research can lead to basic discoveries, it's not just a one-way
street. People such as James Watt, who was an applied researcher in the
field of steam engines, contributed considerably to the basic fields of
mathematics and physics.

Indeed, virtually the whole basic field of thermodynamics was developed
by applied science. Lavoisier, the founder of modern chemistry, was
launched into his career by two applied projects: lighting the streets
of Paris and developing a new process to produce saltpeter. It was these
that led to and funded his later experiments in which he proved the
conservation of mass, and discovered how oxygen functions in combustion.
Carnot's work on engines led to the discovery of the second law of
thermodynamics. Clausius, building on Carnot's work, proposed the
property of entropy. Kelvin's work on engines led to the concept of
available energy. Joule bridged the gap between heat and physical work,
again working with simple engines. Gibbs, combining all of these
insights, published signal works in chemistry, widely reknowned as
fundamental *basic* discoveries in chemistry.

So, there is a very impressive example of applied work on engines
leading to Gibb's insights on chemical equilibria and chemical
thermodynamics, including free energies, energies of formation, and all
of the mathematical techniques that underlie virtually all of modern
chemistry.

I guess my points are: the claim that discoveries only go basic->applied
is a poor one; the claim that basic discoveries are somehow more
value-productive is extremely subjective and hardly proven; and the
claim that applied and basic research are like oil and water is just
plain bananas.

--------------

Lastly, I would like to raise a point about the mix of applied vs. basic
research. It is well known that patents encourage applied research while
not encouraging basic research.

If we wish to change the mix more toward basic, we could weaken or
eliminate patents.

Or, if we wish to increase the total amount of research, we could give
companies dollar-for-dollar tax credits for research. Right now,
companies that reinvest earnings in research save the corporate tax, but
that's not quite the same. Of course, the total amount of research by
industry could be increased by lowering or eliminating the corporate
tax, too.

Gil Guillory, P.E.
Process Design and Project Engineering
KBR, KT-3131B
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone 713-753-2724(w) or 281-362-8061(h) or 281-620-6995(m)
fax 713-753-3508 or 713-753-5353