Good link, Eric.

On the other hand, if you had just quoted this paragraph:

The concept of rational expectations asserts that outcomes do not differ
systematically (i.e., regularly or predictably) from what people expected
them to be. The concept is motivated by the same thinking that led Abraham
Lincoln to assert, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all
of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of
the time." From the viewpoint of the rational expectations doctrine,
Lincoln's statement gets things right. It does not deny that people often
make forecasting errors, but it does suggest that errors will not
persistently occur on one side or the other.

---

I would have preferred it, and not looked it up myself -- but would have
missed the fine link.

Then the question about "irrational behavior" becomes more focussed on that
which is regular or predictable.  At which time, I have a big preference for
"general ideas" to be illustrated by at least one concrete, perhaps
hypothetical, example.

Thanks,
Tom Grey