William Dickens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Can your friend explain why vaccines are different
from other drugs?"

While I'm certainly not qualified to negotiate that
legal minefield, may I guess?  I'd say that a drug is
intended to fix an existing problem, whereas a vaccine
applies a "dangerous" element to prevent possible
future risk.  Thus one who gets sick from a vaccine*
can claim that absent the vaccine, the illness would
not have occured; however, with other drugs the person
was already sick and something had to be done.

It sounds like a stretch, to be sure, but then the
claim that putting a car in drive and pushing the
accelerator literally through the floor board is
consistent with an automatically accelerating car is a
bit of a stretch as well.  Yet Audi lost to such a
claim.

-jsh

*Here's an unsettling tidbit:
"But there would be panic [from smallpox terror
scares]. Mass vaccination would be demanded, and
politicians would find such calls very difficult to
resist. They should remember, however, that when
millions of people were vaccinated in response to the
outbreak in Britain in 1962, nearly as many died from
its complications as from smallpox itself."
www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n17/penn01_.html