> Koushik Sekhar wrote:
>
> Can anyone explain why ordinary Americans are not objecting to tax
> cuts (such as dividend tax cuts) that will only favour the top
> percentiles of the wealthy ?

Among other things, this assumes that people's views on tax policy are
driven by self-interest.  Most of the empirical evidence finds that this
is false.  For a good summary, see Sears and Funk's chapter in Jane
Mansbridge, ed., *Beyond Self-Interest*.

--
                        Prof. Bryan Caplan
       Department of Economics      George Mason University

     Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?!

     Mary Poppins: First of all I would like to make one thing
                   perfectly clear.

     Banks: Yes?

     Poppins: I never explain *anything*.

                            *Mary Poppins*