I have to agree with Susan.  Health clubs are voluntary organizations which,
unlike governments, lack the ability to legitimately threaten or employ force
to get me to join.

I have seen, furthermore, members of my old health club in Iowa complain
bitterly at the provision or increase of services they didn't want, or the
cutting of or failure to provide or increase services they didn't want.  I
know that I didn't want them to raise my rate in order to refurbish the men's
locker room, which seemed just fine to me as it was.  Some people complained
bitterly about the club renting out the pool, tennis courts or other areas
for parties and thus cutting down the hours during which general members
could use the pool or tennis courts, etc.

In a message dated 1/16/03 3:30:34 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< SH:
> I suppose there *could* be a neutral tax, but what would be the point?
> It would be something like taking five dollars from everyone and giving
> them back five dollars worth of 'services'.

FF:
<<The whole point is to provide collective services.
If you join a club and pay dues to get some services, do you then
complain
that you paid money and got services?>>

<<SH:  Of course not. How does that apply to governments and taxation, though?

Susan Hogarth
Triangle Beagle Rescue of NC
www.tribeagles.org [EMAIL PROTECTED] >>