In a message dated 1/17/03 1:15:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>--- Bob Steinke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> However, giving cash in our society is gauche.
It is in dominant WASP culture, but not in some subcultures.  My parents, for
instance, give me cash each year, and this year my brother chose cash too.
The cash is particularly nice since as a poor grad student living in a very
expensive area (and too abrasive to have roommates other than a cat) I can
really use the cash over some tie or something.

DBL