Wei Dai asked:
Why does TV have seasons? I know it's customary to propose possible
answers to questions posted here, but I'm really stumped. I can't think of
any reason why television networks all premier their new shows in the
fall and play re-runs in the summer, instead of spreading out the premiers
and re-runs more evenly throughout the year, or having seasons that aren't
synchronized with each other. Why doesn't the fact that the competition is
a lot weaker in the summer attract more premiers?

I heard part of the explanation is that the measurement of which shows are watched how much is in an amazingly primitive state. "Sweeps" weeks are because that is the main time they try to measure who is watching. So maybe the just don't measure viewing in the summer, reducing the incentive to attract viewers then.

Robin Hanson [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://hanson.gmu.edu
Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323