On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Henrik
Bengtsson<henrik.bengts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> arrays (otherwise an error will be thrown).
>

>> 2) In windows, under C:\Program Files\R\R-2.9.1\library
>> \aroma.affymetrix\testScripts\system\chipTypes\GenomeWideSNP_6, R
>> script file by name "test20080729,6.0,CN,refSet.R"
>
> FYI, those are not really user example scripts, but the
> redundancy/system tests that we run at each release to make sure
> everything works as expected and that new updates doesn't break old
> functions.  Of course, you may still look at them, because most
> imitate real scenarios.
>

>> # - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> -
>> # Segmentation with specific reference set
>> # - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> -
>> # Use the robust average of the first three arrays as a reference
>> cesR <- extract(cesN, 1:3);
>> ceR <- getAverageFile(cesR);
>> print(ceR);
>>
>> sm <- CbsModel(cesN, ceR);
>
> As print(cesN), print(cesR), and print(ceR) confirms, 'cesN' is a data
> *set* with 6 arrays (the "s" in "ces" indicates "set"), 'cesR' is a
> subset of 'cesN' with 3 arrays, and 'ceR' is a single array/file (no
> "s").  'ceR' is a single array in the sense that it is a robust
> average of the 3 arrays.
>
> Next, you set up a segmentation model where you want to segment the 6
> arrays in the *set* using one *array* as a reference.  This is
> interpreted as you want to use the same reference for each of the 6
> arrays.
>

>> =====================
>>
>> So in my context, i translated that as given below:
>>
>> Analysis is done on two paired samples (normal1: tumor1).
>>
>> Script 1 (Link 1)
>> =========================
>> # Use the robust average of the first  array as a reference
>> cesR <- extract(cesN, 1);
>> cesL <- extract(cesN, 2);
>> sm<-CbsModel(cesR,cesL)
>
> Note, extract() extracts a *set* of arrays, so you are asking for a
> paired analysis.  The CN ratios are hence calculated between the first
> array in 'cesR' and the first array in 'cesL' (that's all arrays there
> is).  (FYI, for extracting single arrays there is getFile()).
>

>> =========================
>>
>> Script 2 (from the link 2: modified example script)
>>
>> # Use the robust average of the first  array as a reference
>> cesR <- extract(cesN, 1);
>> cesL <- extract(cesN, 2);
>> ceR <- getAverageFile(cesR);
>> sm <- CbsModel(cesN, ceR);
>
> 'cesN' is a set (of six arrays from the example) and 'ceR' is an
> (robust average) *file*, so no paired analysis but a common reference.
>
>> =========================
>>
>> First question would be: did  I cross stitch two different methods
>> (analyses) and came up with a hybrid script :(?
>
> Yes.  It is easier to help you if you instead say what you want to do.
>  ...and using print(cesR) etc to see what is going on.

...from a private followup email message(*):

> This almost solved my problem in analysis except for that last part.
> Scenario is like this: I have one control sample for multiple tumors
> and I wanted them to be compared pairwise. For eg. Normal sample N1,
> Tumor samples T1, T2, T3, T4 and I need them to be compared like
> this : N1, T1; N1,T2; N1,T3.

So, assume that you processed everything together in a set 'cesN' of,
say, 12 arrays, and that the tumors have index 3,4, 9 and 11, and the
normal has index 2.  The you want to do:

# The set containing the 4 tumor samples
cesTumor <- extract(cesN, c(3,4,9,11));

# The single normal sample (as a reference for all)
ceNormal <- getFile(cesN, 2);

cbs <- CbsModel(cesTumor, ceNormal);

This will process the 4 arrays in 'cesTumor'.  The remaining in 'cesN'
will not be processed.

Hope this helps

(*)  Please don't send private messages - 'FAQ. 2008-03-26: Why do you
not want to answer questions sent to your private email address?':

  http://groups.google.com/group/aroma-affymetrix/web/frequently-asked-questions

Henrik