Cannes, May 18: Bombay Dreams,  the musical, is to be made into a
big-budget film.

The venture will  be a collaboration between Andrew Lloyd Webber's
The Really Useful Group  in the UK, and Marquee Pictures, a Beverley
Hills-based US film  production company.

Canada-based Deepa  Mehta, much admired for her trilogy Earth, Fire and
Water, will  direct the film in 2011, once she has completed the movie
adaptation she  is currently working on of Salman Rushdie's
Midnight's Children.

The musical ran  successfully for two years before opening in 2004 in
Broadway where it  did less well.

However, the  triumph of Slumdog Millionaire, which took eight Oscars in
2009,  appears to have convinced the Americans that now is the
propitious  moment to turn Bombay Dreams, the stage musical, into a
movie.

The story of an  Indian slum boy, who wants to make it big in tinsel
town, epitomises the  Hollywood and the American dream.

Mehta's husband,  David Hamilton, a producer on many of her films,
said in Cannes: "A.R.  Rahman, who wrote the music for the musical,
is writing some new music  for the film. The people behind the project
are very serious about  making the film."

The screenplay  will be written by Sabrina Dhawan, acclaimed writer of
the much loved Monsoon  Wedding, which was directed by Mehta who
commented: "Bombay  Dreams has a rich and compelling story,
appealing characters and a  satisfying interplay of comedy, romance and
the dramatic. It really is  the ideal musical to adapt for film."

Lloyd Webber, who  can claim substantial credit for introducing Rahman
to the western  world, said: "I am very proud to have presented
Bombay Dreams in  Britain where it was a ground-breaking show. It was
deeply rewarding for  me to see Rahman's work recognised in America
when he won two Oscars  and I am thrilled to be working with him again
on this exciting  project."

Rahman returned  the compliment: "I have had a wonderful
collaboration with Andrew. And  now I am very happy to continue this
collaboration. I have worked on  more than 100 movies, and believe that
this may be my most exciting  project."

In 1998 Lloyd  Webber went to the Hammersmith Lyric to see Fourteen
Songs, Two  Weddings and a Funeral with Parminder Nagra in the lead, the
Tamasha  Theatre Company's brilliant musical adaptation of the
Bollywood  blockbuster Hum Aapke Hain Kaun.

Seeing the musical  encouraged Lloyd Webber to take the gamble of making
Bombay Dreams.  Shekhar Kapur, the director currently serving on the
Cannes jury, put  him in touch with Rahman.

When the musical  first opened, British critics predicted it would not
last more than a  few weeks at most. Indians, living in the UK and
visiting from the UK,  made them eat humble pie. Steve Wilkinson, who
has a background in  theatre and whose company Azure has provided
development funding for the  film, said in Cannes: "While every
production has an inherently  uncertain outcome in the marketplace,
Bombay Dreams,  with its  amazing musical pedigree and an award-winning
production team, has a  chance of becoming one of the  great musical
films of the decade."

It is worth  recalling Lloyd Webber's tart reaction when a Hindutva
type asked him  why he had not called his musical Mumbai Dreams.

"Mumbai Dreams has  no music," he shot back.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100519/jsp/frontpage/story_12464861.jsp