Angus,

Regarding "How would I do this as a Remedy Active Link?"

In a active link you could run the .exe in a Run Process.  Example:
cmd.exe /c "c:\program files\MyDialer\MyDialer.exe" "9,19254694200"
This number is Remedy's support line, but first dials a 9 to get an
outside line. The comma = 2 second pause.

If your dialer will always return/close quickly (within the Process
Timeout setting in Remedy Administrator -> Server Information ->
Timouts) then you could use a Set Fields $PROCESS$ command instead.
This would allow your active link to capture any output from the dialer
(for example, a busy signal, ringing, "you must dial a 1 before this
number...", "number has been disconnected...", etc.).

Regarding "'save' a copy of the TelephonyObject" I am not sure what
would be the best or easiest way to accomplish this.  I guess the goal
here is to reduce the amount of time it takes to begin dialing the phone
(correct?).

If all of your computers that will run the dialer have Windows 2000 or
XP then you could program the dialer as an NT Service.  This may save
about 1 second because the VB program is always running.  Although I
would think that a custom programmed command-line dialer would run fast
enough.  The slowest part would likely be the speed at which your phone
system can accept numbers.  How long is it taking to instantiate your
object?  Are you calling a third-party .dll?

Another option would be using DDE or OLE. Without knowing all the
details of your environment my choice would be an .exe program - it's
separate and self-contained. As long as your .exe does not generate an
error, which would generate an error in your Remedy application, it
should be fine and run quickly.  Note: Still trap errors in your .exe
and echo them to the console [so that your Remedy app can capture them -
using Set Fields $PROCESS$], just make sure your .exe always terminates
as "successful" so that your Remedy app won't cough up an error to your
users.

HTH

Stephen