**
The Date field works the same as the Date/Time field from the database side.  They both record time in seconds.   The difference is from the User side.  Date does not give you time of day selection, but it will set to 00:00:00 for the day choosen.  So your query would have to be:

('Effective Date' >= $DATE$ - (60*60*24))
OR
('Effective Date' >= $DATE$ - 86400)

.ron