...which may lead us out here in the customer arena to simply start
pulling the trigger quicker: encounter a problem - troubleshoot it very
superficially - then go ahead and submit it as a ticket knowing that we
will have to eat the front-line support time anyway, so it might as well
be on BMC's time too. With the level of complexity (and profusion of
bugs in services, applications, and installers) in the version 7
products, this may have to become a survival tactic. I've stumbled
across a wide variety of installer problems, usually as a result of
incorrect assumptions about the server environment, that have taken
weeks to resolve and put us way behind schedule on implementation. I now
wonder if I would have been much better off to just toss them all over
the wall to support the first time I spotted them, and focused instead
on application configuration planning instead of trying to work through
them, even though some of them might still be unresolved today. Unless
we are involved in a beta, we shouldn't have to _be_ the QA process, but
that is what it feels like.

I do have to say that response time does vary significantly for the
different support groups at BMC; some tickets seem to go to backline
support almost immediately, but maybe it is because they have already
seen a problem and are looking for more sites to report it so that they
can gather data to solve it. When I get that kind of a response, I
usually reciprocate in terms of level of effort.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/