From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Frank Caruso
Sent: 04 May 2015 14:15
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: ITSM 8.1 Tomcat Load Issue

Windows 2008 VM, Tomcat, 8 GIG, 2 Dual CPUs. Using OOTB Tomcat configuration:
300 threads, 50 min. Use the BMC Remedy Midtier Tuning Guide for all settings.

Running some basic load tests but keep running into thread contention issues
(that is what I am calling it). The load tool is simulating 200 users doing
basic queries, loading consoles, opening SRM. Each users logs in every 20
seconds. No creates or updates. The server handles the first 100 people without
much issue. But soon after that performance gets much slower to the point where
it could take a minute for a simple refresh to complete. The CPU and memory on
the web server are fine. The number of threads though has maxed out at 300 and
all are busy. I am using the Tomcat Manager application and it lists all of the
threads n Stage P (Processing).  Not that familiar with analyzing threads but
if all of the threads are busy it would sound as thought the web server is
overloaded but based on BMCs recommendation the server should be able to handle
upwards of 300 users. I changed the max thread could to 400 and ran the same
load but the results were the same; after about 120 users all threads had been
instantiated and all were constantly showing as P (processing).

This could be a load testing tool issue (we are using Rational Performance
Tester) or maybe we have some incorrect settings.

Thoughts?

Frank Caruso

Are, and have been for 20 years"