We have also experienced this on our ITSM systems. It usually seems to be a
plugin misbehaving. My quick and very dirty fix (usually for non-prod) is
to issue:

taskkill /S <serverame> /IM java.exe

On Windows that remotely kills the Java plugins on the server (they will
automatically restart) which usually frees up the system to allow logins.
NOTE: It also kills any other Java process on the server. This is a
heavy-handed solution like killing a fly with an RPG but it works when
needed. If it continues to happen you should find the root cause and tune
the system to help alleviate the contention.

Jason