From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Rick Cook
Sent: 13 October 2017 02:12
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: What's the NextId?

**
Here's the skinny on that.  I got this from the engineer who built that
feature, btw.

The problem was that system performance was being constricted around the action
of getting the NextId for a record when multiple sources (say, Netcool and
HPOV) were throwing tons of requests at the (Incident) form at the same time.
The process of getting each Next Entry ID in individual DB calls was
bottlenecking the process of creating the records.  So that's why BMC came up
with a way to pre-allocate those in bulk, so that only every N times (whatever
the number is set to) would an actual call to the DB to get Next IDs be
necessary.  The transaction time to retrieve 1 or 100 wasn't much different,
and those customers with multiple programs requiring many simultaneous record
creations saw a marked performance increase.  It was, and is, a good feature
add.

So (then a miracle occurs) and BMC announces that this particular corner case
had a solution that everyone should benefit from, and announced that the number
should be 100 for *all* customers.  I tested this back in 7.6.04 against a RH
server, with settings at 1, 10, 100, and 1000, and found that performance was
actually NEGATIVELY affected the higher the number was set.  It wasn't a huge
difference (10%~), but it was a clear, repeatable one for which BMC's engineer
had no explanation.  It is why I have always advocated that unless a customer
has the specific set of circumstances that caused the feature to be beneficial,
there is no real benefit to setting the number larger than 1.  And there are
minor drawbacks to doing so, the current subject being one of them.

Every time I ask someone from BMC to justify a larger number to the average
customer, they repeat the party line, unaware of the history behind the
feature.  I will continue to tilt at this windmill until someone at BMC shows
me some performance testing numbers that justify this setting for the entire
customer base.
Rick

On Oct 12, 2017 13:30, "Thomas Miskiewicz"