My response times were measured on both the production server set that I
just built out, and development set which is identical except for
mid-tier:

Web - Win2K3 R2 Enterprise x64 on HP DL380 G5 with two 4-core Xeons and
12 gb RAM
   Mid-tier 7.0.01 on Tomcat app server AND Tomcat web, JDK 1.4.2_13 -
Tomcat has memory pool from 512 to 1536 defined
   The development mid-tier is identical except that the server is
Win2K3 Ent x86 on a DL-380 with two 3.4 ghz Xeons and 6 gb RAM

ARS - Win2K3 Enterprise x64 on HP DL385 with two 2-core Opterons and 10
gb RAM
DB - Win2K3 Enterprise x64 and SQL Server 2005 x64 on HP DL385 with two
2-core Opterons and 10 gb RAM (SQL Server grabs 8 gb RAM)
Client - WinXP Pro and IE 7 on 3ghz PC with 1 gb RAM

The long lag times to load non-prefetched forms (1:30 for Change
console, 1:40 for New Incident opened from Overview console) tells me
that basic mid-tier 7 architecture still leaves a lot to be desired.
Almost all of the sustained CPU load when pre-fetching objects and
30-35% total CPU for up to 1 to 1.5 minutes in the worst cases; one CPU
will stay at 75%, one at 50%, one at 25%. The CPU traces on the mid-tier
servers peak at 20% intermittently on several processors - usually 2 of
them. There is usually a single grab from the db server - one spike on
one CPU, or no trace at all in some cases!

Less than happy??? Any time you perform an operation for the first time,
like search for a customer from a new ticket, you will wish you were
back on ITSM 5.5 and mid-tier 5.1.2 when it comes to performance. It is
not a user experience that I want my IT staff to have to live with - who
do you know that will consider it acceptable to click on a link to open
a console or form and then stare at a blank, white screen for 1 and a
half minutes? Nobody here! All response times _after_ forms have loaded
once, either prefetched or not, were very fast - in the 1 to 2 seconds
range. It's that "first impression" that is going to be a killer. It
even occurs on little dialog boxes, like the selection box to Create a
request from the Overview console, or search for a customer. Each new
form or dialog that you invoke for the first time has a long, pregnant
pause before it displays - especially if it was not included in a
prefetch.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/