From an earlier post that migth help :
----------------------------
And once you get a gui to install it, watch out for the following defect I
have open about the installer:

1. DROP/BUILD BUG OCCURS IN (IF PRE-RELEASE)
SLM 7.0, ARS 7.0, Solaris (but happens all platforms)

2. STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Try to install SLM application, the data collector piece
It prompts you for information: Please provide the AR Server database
information for BMC Service Level  Management product

For TNS Name, enter the connect stirng from you tnsnames.ora file, which
you can tnsping
For Database name, enter the database name of ARSystem
Enter ARAdmin for your Database User
and AR#Admin# for the password

3. ACTUAL RESULTS:
Error: Database connection failed: ITSM7 ARSystem 1521 ARAdmin. Please try
again.

4. EXPECTED RESULTS:
The dialog labels are completely misleading, what we've had to do to make
it work:
TNS Name: machine name where oracle DB resides
Database name: SID value from tnsnames.ora file

5. ADDITIONAL INFO:

I am trying to install SLM 7.0 on a Solaris 9 server, and I have met all
the prerequisites. The install starts out fine, but when it reaches the
point where it tries to verify my ARAdmin login on my Oracle server, it
gets an error saying it cannot connect (please see the attached screen
shots file). I know the connection can be made, because I can both tnsping
the connect string (ITSM7), and I can also actually login on the ARAdmin
account using sqlplus (from Oracle). My shell environment has all the
Oracle environment variables in it that describe the database, and has the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable containing all the 32-bit Oracle binaries. What
is the connection method this installer uses to attempt the database
connection? How can I force it to properly find my database? I am running
the SLM install as root on my AR server, but the database itself is on
another host (referred to by the ITSM7 TNS name I mentioned before). And
of course, the AR server itself is functioning just fine against that
database.

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]