Since we on the topic of consistency (kind of) ... one of my peeves has
been the inconsistent version numbers.  In some places on the support site
6.3 is listed as 6.03.00, which I think is the "official" version.
Subsequently, people say six-oh-three, which gets translated to 6.0.3,
which, of course, didn't exist.  That gets complicated by the existence of
6.0.1 (or is it 6.00.01, the patch download site has both).  Now comes
7.1, but I haven't seen it shown as 7.01.00 anywhere.  Probably a good
thing because of 7.0.1 (7.00.01?)

It doesn't really matter whether the leading zero is there or not (I
prefer it not to be there for simplicity), but it should be consistent
across all documents/menus.

Thad Esser
Remedy Developer
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."-- Richard
Bach

"Carey Matthew Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
09/06/2007 10:45 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Re: Version 7.1 Compatibility Matrix

David,

Ok... I see my points of confusion....

The table is labeled "AR System Client Supported Configurations" and
the table is sorted by "Operating System" instead of what I would
expect the sort order would be of "AR System Client". However it looks
like all of the tables on the first 9 pages are all sorted by
Platform/OS. So I guess there is some consistency there. Then, of
course,  the next 5 pages are sorted by BMC software title. ( Which
was what I was expecting in the first 9 pages.)

Then that was further complicated by the string "AR System
Administration Tool" (on the first line, but not the second line)
being in italic. ("Italics indicate an addition since AR System
7.0.01") I think the Italic is trying to show that Vista is now
supported for the Admin Tool? But the thing that is italicized is the
client name and not one of the two OS's in the table. ( I mean the
Admin Tool isn't newly supported on XP right? And the Admin Tool is
not new since 7.0.01 right?)

So when I read the first line the Italic text under it was interpreted
as a footnote or modifier of the "AR System User Tool" text (above it
and in the same "cell") and I did not even read the text itself. I
guess I need to slowdown a bit and read all the pretty text to get the
most out of the information that is there. :)

Thanks for pointing that out for me. I guess I need to adjust to the
new format. I actually think the older formats were easier to
decipher. I can sort an Excel spreadsheet, but I can not do that with
a PDF, and there was less "text" getting in the way of the "matrix"
too. In fact the only think I really did not like about the
spreadsheet file was that there was only one page/tab. If every
product (or table if you prefer) was on a separate page/tab then
sorting would be much easier too. There would even be more room for
explanations about the footnotes below each table too. But again,
maybe that is just one persons opinion.

Also thanks for the clarification about the "Service Desk" vs "Help
Desk" application name too. I realize it takes time and effort to get
every line of text to be consistent again after a product is renamed.
I look forward to seeing consistent terminology for all of BMC's
products in all of the mounds of product documentation.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On 9/6/07, Easter, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is it just me or does the compatibility matrix say that the Admin Tool
> is only supported on "Windows 2000, 2003 (32 or x64)"
>
> It's just you.  The line above states that the Admin Tool is supported
> on both XP and Vista.
>
> > Did the "Service Desk" application get renamed to "Remedy Help Desk
> 7"?
>
> That's how it was listed in the 7.0.01 matrix as well.  We can switch it
> over to "Service Desk" in the next revision for complete accuracy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -David J. Easter
> Sr. Product Manager, Service Management Business Unit
> BMC Software, Inc.
>
> The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed
> in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.
> My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a
> role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for
> BMC Software, Inc.

the Answers Are"

***IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally
binding signature.***