The Requester Console is indeed "usable" for a limited range of
functions, and we have had the 5.5 version of it up and running for
computing center employees for years, but it is admittedly one of the
reasons that many of them _hate_ to use Remedy at all.  We have had much
better success with scripted ARSPerl web pages as a point of entry for
customers.

Anyone trying to put a service catalog-oriented face on ITSM 7 to
replace the Requester Console should take a serious look at Kinetic
Request.  We just finished training on it, and it is a more mature
application for creating service catalogs and service items on the front
of ITSM, or any custom app for that matter.  It contains all of the
tools for creating custom web interfaces with the data being stored in
Remedy tables, and has its own tasks for pushing data into ITSM or other
forms as well as notifications and approvals.  The hardest part for us
(right now) is figuring out exactly how to fit it into the ITSM 7
application - which processes to move to Kinetic and which to leave in
Incident, which to combine (start in KR and end in Incident), and what
to do with the default Service Request and CAI subsystem hiding behind
the Requester Console (disable it??).  I would be curious to know who
else is trying to do the same sort of thing.

It looks like it will be able to replace all of our ARSPerl web
interfaces (to include scripted questions and responses, error-trapping,
pattern matching, and tightly-controlled field mapping for ticket
creation), and will allow us to "distribute" the creation and
maintenance of those pages (service catalogs and items) to the helpdesk
manager and other support groups.  We should also be able to control all
of the data elements that people are always asking for as custom fields
in the HPD:Help Desk form and other ITSM forms by mapping and storing
them all in the Kinetic Request base form instead.  The best features
are that you can build as many customer service web "portals" as you
need for different purposes, mapping them to different parts of ITSM or
keeping the "tickets" entirely within Kinetic Request, and serve it all
up on a dedicated web server that is NOT your mid-tier server.

So far the only thing I am losing is the integration that Remedy
Knowledge Management ships with for the Requester Console, but
theoretically I can duplicate that to some degree within or next to the
Kinetic application.  A driving force in our decision process has also
been the fact that SRM was delivered with a pricing model that is
completely unusable in a University environment with tens of thousands
of pre-defined potential customers.  I would hope that SRM provides a
more direct integration into ITSM during installation (like SLM, unlike
RKM), but it doesn't matter much if you cannot possibly afford to buy
it.... sort of like SIM.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/

  _____