I would say that it will not work in the same way.  AR System, upon which
Service Desk is built, is a very flexible engine to integrate with.  I would
bet that whatever third-party tool you're talking about could be integrated
with AR System, and therefore with Service Desk, with a small to moderate
level of effort.

Rick