I'm on Oracle 10gR1 and Remedy 6.3 and is running into the same
requirements. I have a very crude way to search the Summary field using an
Active Link. I'm only piloting it right now with our HelpDesk staff and they
said it's totally better than nothing. I wish to expand on it since it seems
to work. Maybe someone on the list can make some suggestions.
I have them type the word to search into the HelpDesk Summary field then use
a button to fire an active link (right now I'm actually just using a menu in
the WUT). I use a Set Fields and do the following SQL search:

SELECT TO_CHAR(TO_DATE('01/01/1970 00:00:00', 'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS') +
(HPD_HELPDESK.CREATE_TIME / ( 60 * 60 * 24 )), 'MM/DD/YY HH:MI AM') as
Create_Date, HPD_HELPDESK.CASE_ID_,
case
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 0 then 'New'
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 1 then 'Assigned'
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 2 then 'Work in Progress'
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 3 then 'Pending'
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 4 then 'Resolved'
when HPD_HELPDESK.STATUS = 5 then 'Closed'
end as Status
,'[' || HPD_HELPDESK.SUMMARY || ']' as Summary, HPD_HELPDESK.CASE_ID_
FROM HPD_HELPDESK
WHERE UPPER(HPD_HELPDESK.SUMMARY) LIKE UPPER('%$Summary$%')
ORDER BY HPD_HELPDESK.CREATE_TIME DESC

The key part is the WHERE statement. Since it turns everything to Upper case
then does a comparison. If you index the Summary field then the results
would be quicker. The Set Fields will come up with a list if it finds
multiple items then pushes the Case ID of what is selected into the Case ID
field (this is all happening on the same Search form). I then set the
Summary field to NULL then perform a run process PERFORM-ACTION-APPLY to
press the Search button.

Like I said very crude and I wish I can do this within a table with the
EXTERNAL() command so it'll be prettier. But hey it's free. I hope someone
has done something simular and expanded on it.

Good Luck,
Steve