I ran into the same thing.  I don't have the details at my fingertips,
but I eventually got the mid-tier-installed tomcat instance to host
mid-tier, crystal reports server, and remedy knowledge management all at
once on my development web server (Win2K3 Ent x86).  I know I had to
install mid-tier and its tomcat server first, then RKM, and Crystal
using java and the existing tomcat. RKM and Crystal share a preinstalled
SQL Server 2005 instance for their respective databases. In ALL cases I
use the tomcat web server (catalina) instead of IIS when using java (use
IIS only with .NET crystal).  Performance is significantly better that
way.

This doesn't work at all for my production mid-tier server since it is
Win2K3 Ent R2 x64 and the 32-bit Crystal Reports XI refused to install
there properly. For production, to simplify maintenance, crystal uses
IIS and .NET and mid-tier uses java and tomcat (on the separate 32-bit
reporting web server).  The production mid-tier server has one tomcat
instance for mid-tier (and flashboards), and another internal to the
Kinetic Data applications install. Even RKM got a separate web server,
shared with AIE. The rationale for separating these services onto
separate machines becomes evident whenever one of the components needs
to be patched or upgraded.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/