What platform is the ARS server running on?  You mention ardb.cfg so is
it Windows?  The Oracle client used by ARS needs to have NLS_LANG set.
On Windows it is a registry key - exactly which one depends on the type
of Oracle client installed.  On Unix this can be done via the arsystem
script or an environment variable.

I suspect you may find a registry key where NLS_LANG is set to
lang_country.WE8MSWIN1252 on the ARS server system.

Database server

NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS = BYTE

NLS_CHARACTERSET = language_country.UTF8 (or AL32UTF8)

Database CLIENT

NLS_LANG = language_country.UTF8 (or AL32UTF8)

Mark