So why don't you just use John's suggestion in a Set Fields to another Display
only field, then make a new AL with a higher sequence number that has as a
qualification 'a' != 'b' and produce an error in that case.

If the replace did nothing you will not get an error.  (The AL will not fire as
the two fields will be equal.)

Cheers
Ben