Creepy is a good description.  I have heard of so many people having to back
out of java 1.6 to 1.5 that I would rather not do that - 7.1 was developed
against 1.5.0_12 or 14 as I recall, not 1.6; I always try to match the java on
the server to whatever BMC developed against, since java has such a lousy track
record for between-version and even between-build compatibility.  BTW, the JVM
is set in the registry with -Xms256m and -Xmx512m under the BMC Remedy Email
Engine key, and is always running in the Task Manager as java.exe *32 with
between 17,800 K and 20,320 K of memory and 389-390 handles.

There are no logs in Exchange to see.. unless it is somewhere I don't know
about.  The email messages stop showing up - they stop being presented by the
client as an outbound message to be sent; they do not get entered in the
mailbox at all, as near as I can tell.  Those that do reach the mailbox are
being sent to the main mailhost without error.

I have always retained the sent mail - it has always been a valuable
troubleshooting tool on notifications.  I also archive the mail folder to a
copy of the email message form that was edited before import to change all of
the column ids from 8xxxx to 90008xxxx to avoid the known problem with
archiving that form.  That cut us down from 77,000 messages in the folder since
May to only the current day's messages since 4:00 AM.

Java log?  Where, and what could it tell me since I have no knowledge of java
other than it has been an unreliable technology since its inception.. at least
in the Remedy world.  The only java related logs that I see are those
occasionally appearing in stderr.log:

java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection establishment; nested
exception is:
                at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(Unknown
Source)
                at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(Unknown
Source)
                at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(Unknown Source)
                at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
                at java.rmi.Naming.rebind(Unknown Source)
                at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.newInstance(EmailDaemon.java:180)
                at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.startMonitor(EmailDaemon.java:864)
                at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.executeComandLine(EmailDaemon.java:592)
                at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.main(EmailDaemon.java:313)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
                at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
                at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(Unknown Source)
                ... 9 more

And the hs_err_pid####.log files which are huge but have headers with:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x38bc90b7, pid=4548, tid=4988
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_14-b03 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [emsmdb32.dll+0x890b7]
#

daemon [_thread_in_native, id=4988]

siginfo: ExceptionCode=0xc0000005, reading address 0x000c01c6

...followed by register errors and stack dumps that are meaningless to me.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/