Dear List,

We want to submit a form entry, and re-open it.  In the process of being
submitted the form creates some subfile form entries, so we can’t use
“$LASTID$.”   Instead we query the db for the “max(Request ID).”

So in the Active Link, which runs “After Submit,” I set “display-only-field”
equal to the value returned by the sql selection.  Then it does a “Window Open”
and brings up the form entry where “'Request ID' = $display-only-field$.

This works in our test/development system, but in the live system I get:
“ARERR [286] Display only fields cannot be included in a query to the database:
561000490,” and the window doesn’t open. (561000490 is the display-only-field
id.)

The error doesn’t appear in the Active Link (workflow.log), filter, or sql
logs. I also tried the BMC KB with no luck.

The Active Link log shows “display-only-field” being set to the correct value.
By adding messages between the Active Link actions I see that the error happens
on the “Window Open” command.

I replaced “display-only-field” with a database field and that works.  But I
don’t like using data fields to store useless values.  What is wrong with using
a display-only field to select a record in an Open Window action?  And why
would it work OK in one system and not in another (supposedly identical) system?

I’ll appreciate any suggestions.

(ARS 7.1 patch 2, RH Linux server, Oracle 10.2 db)

Dwayne Martin
James Madison University