-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Phil Murnane
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 10:12 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Java API Question

I'm using the 7.1 Java API to create a new field on a form.  Be
All:

I'm using the 7.1 Java API to create a new field on a form.  Before creating
the field, I'd like to make sure a field with the same Field ID does not
already exist.  I found the isPresent() method of the Field object in the
javadocs, but since a generic Field cannot be instantiated (must use
CharacterField or IntegerField, etc), how do I use isPresent() to check for
any type existing field with a given Field ID?  Do I have to first check for
an AttachmentField, then check for an AttachmentPoolField, then check for a
CharacterField, etc?

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm new at this OO programming stuff.

TIA,
--Phil