I guess...:)

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:11 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Fw: Select distinct from api

LJ,

I kind of agree, but ....

If you use the AR API(Server) to issue the SQL then you can write to one API
instead of potentially multiple RDBMS API's.
If you use the AR API(Server) to issue the SQL then you could even do it via
a prepared AR System application instead of using a full AR administrator
account too. (Which I think is required to use the
Server.GetListSQL() API call.)
If you use the AR API(Server) you can do other things that are "harder" to
do via the RDBMS API too. ( Like trigger notifications, inform the support
process of exceptions, etc..)

However, when the AR System does not fully implement all of the features
that the RDBMS has and you need those features, then you need to "drop down"
to the lower level and use the tools that you need to use to get the job
done. You just may not have to set up any additional
libraries/utilities/infrastructure to tap into those RDBMS features for one
or two things that you need to do. :)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)