Rabi,
It is as strange as you think, but it may be easy to fix.  First, the key
filter that actually does the lookup is called
"HPD:INC:Assignment_035_AsgRouting".  The qualification in the Set Field
action will show you what is mapped.  It turns out that both the Contact
Company *and* the Location Company on CFG:Assignment are compared against
"Contact Company" from the Help Desk Customer tab.  This would imply that
they cannot be different.  However, you will see that it allows either one
of them to be "- Global -".  This may be helpful to you.

Personally I find that there are way too many unnecessary restrictions like
this in the ITSM applications.  The good news is that you can create your
own version of this filter and do the lookup the way that makes sense to
you.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Chuck Baldi