I am planning a similar thing here.  I think it might be best to run
the DB remotely.  That way it is not taking up resources from your
Remedy server.  As long as it is located at the same physical site as
your Remedy server, you should be fine.
We are going to be using a VM environment with 2 x 3 GHz processors
and 8 GB RAM and about 50 GB disk.
We could use more memory, but we are not really going to be testing
performance here.  We want to emulate our current dev environment and
see what happens/breaks if we upgrade to ARS 7.5 and 7.5 Attrium Core
while keeping our 7.03 ITSM apps.  Our environment should be ready to
start the Remedy install on Monday.

James