From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Grooms, Frederick W
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 4:36 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Check a Database Link in workflow.

What database you are working with would be helpful.

In Oracle I create a function to select a value thru the database link.  I just
make sure the function has the Exception clause in it.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION Test_dbLink_ARS2 RETURN Number IS
   Result Number(15);
BEGIN
   select SCHEMAID into Result from aradmin.arsch...@ars2_link where NAME =
'User';
   RETURN Result;
EXCEPTION
   WHEN OTHERS THEN
   RETURN NULL;
END Test_dbLink_ARS2;
/

If you get back a number then the link is up.  If you get back NULL then the
link is down.

In your workflow do a SQL Set fields action:
   Select Test_dbLink_ARS2() from Dual;

You could even get fancy and pass in the Link name to the function

Fred