Check out PGP Desktop Home. The two features that would work really well for
this are PGP Virtual Disk and PGP Zip.
http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop_home/index.html
For PGP Virtual Disk, you'll just login PGP and another drive will be display
in My Computer. She would just need to store the sensitive files in that
virtual partition. Whenever she's not accessing the data, she can logout of PGP
and the files are secure.
PGP Zip will allow her to easily create encrypted archive files that she can
save off the laptop. The files are self decrypting, so you don't need the PGP
software to open them. Just enter the password to decrypt them.
That's the $100 solution.

If she doesn't need to store more than 100MB then you could use maxcrypt for
free. It's used the same way as PGP Virtual Disk. For backup, she can just
backup the maxcrypt directory in Program Files.

For all solutions, keep in mind that if you can access the file, so can
somebody else. Also make sure she has good firewall and virus protection
installed.

Jason Bess