Looks like I found the answer on BMC's website:

Problem 20005347

Please refer to the updated Service Request Management 2.2.00 Release Notes
page 16. These release notes were refreshed on the support web site, so be sure
to have the most recent copy.

Defect SW00261294

When working on the back-end requests created from a service request, you
cannot reopen these requests (for example, an incident or a change) after they
have been closed.
Users can reopen a service request, but SRM has no process to handle situations
when users reopen records from the back-end applications that are tied to the
service request.

This also means that when the Service Request is reopened, it creates a Work
Order and does not reopen the Incident

Huh? This is just shoddy work. If you give the user the ability to Reopen
something, that ability should include all of the somethings that were
previously opened. Having some stupid workaround involving Work Orders is not
acceptable.

Now I have to spend my time figuring out how to do it the right way.