Ken,

To answer your questions, theoritically, the Oracle server can be in your
own server and the ARS server can be EC2 or vice versa, or as we did, we put
both in the cloud.

During our initial efforts to put ARS in the cloud, we found an AMI created
by Oracle (AMI ami-7acb2f13)  There are several AMIs available from Oracle
which you could use.  We chose this one for no particular reason other than
11g.

When you start the AMI and login the first time, it will configure a
database for you.  You will find once the database is created, if you do not
shut it down, it will persist (including reboots).  However when you
terminate the AMI, all the information (database, configurations, etc) will
be lost.  I would strongly encourage you to learn how to create your own
AMI.  After we created the database and was able to access it locally and
remotely, we created our own copy of the database server AMI.  But there is
some gotchas which border on water-boarding torture.  Oracle created a
partition and stored the database on this partition, but when you create the
AMI, it is not recognized as a seperate partition, just as a directory
(/u02).  When you start your AMI, the /etc/fstab mounts the partition but
the data is not there, it is in the space reserverd for /u02 on the root
partition.  I'll let you figure out how to get around this.

Also, if you are not a dba, you should involve a dba to help with backing up
and restoring a database.  Each time the AMI is shutdown, all the data,
configuration, etc will be lost.  You will have to implement some type of
method to deploy/restore a database each time it is restored.  You will not
have this problem with reboots.

Some sales consultants may find this adventageious since they don't have to
rebuild a presentation server.  Stop it and your back where you begin.

The ARS server was initially placed on the same AMI (no we haven't shut it
down yet) as a proof of simple concept.

You can also install your own oracle server, start a MS AMI which has
SQL-Server and install ARS on Windows 2003 Server.  There is no real limit
to what you can do in EC2.

Good Luck,
==Mac