Our central helpdesk, the library helpdesk, and many of the distributed areas
the track most of their work in ITSM (not all do) get calls for "help" all the
time when nothing is broken.  Those calls are _supposed_ to be recorded as User
Service Requests, although the default for a new Incident is User Service
Restoration and it does not always get changed.

When we configured ITSM 7 with SLM 7 for production in early 2008, and Kinetic
Request for the customer interface, we made a lot of decisions about Service
Type.  Some of that is detailed in our docs on http://remedy.unt.edu (support
staff docs are at http://arsweb4.ars.unt.edu/index_prod.htm ), mostly under the
SLM and Outages sections.

The rates of escalation for Infrastructure Restoration, User Service
Restoration, and User Service Request are very different - the resolution of a
Critical Infrastructure Restoration breaches in 4 hours versus a Low User
Restoration breaches in 32 hours.  A low User Service Request also breaches at
32 hours, but we could have set that to an even longer period.  Restorations
are fixing broken stuff.  Requests are not; they are things people need or want
to have done that they did not have access to or running before.  Anything like
a "question" called into the helpdesk will normally be classified as a User
Service Request, including password resets, unless the discussion leads to an
actual issue like a mail or distance education service being down.

BTW, all or most of our Kinetic Request Service Items available to our
customers explicitly set the Service Type (and
Severity/Impact/Urgency/Priority), which is very helpful since all of the SLAs
key off Service Type and Priority.  If you look at our docs, Severity is a
metric we added since we had used it since 1999 in Help Desk 4 and later 5.5
and it allows our staff to ignore Impact, Urgency, and Priority when entering
tickets.

We use Infrastructure Events for scheduled maintenance and scheduled outages,
but this may be a non-standard use since I think it was intended for use with
monitoring tools that we do not have integrated to ITSM (and there are no
central monitoring tools on campus - everyone uses whatever they found on the
Internet yesterday that looked cool, it seems).  We also don't have Asset Mgmt,
so there are no CIs and no down-time records other than what we carry in
Kinetic Calendar.

Just some thoughts since I didn't see much response to your query.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/