Can anyone explain to me why I would ever want to use the dynamic data source
or destination in workflow (new in 7.5) in an application that is _entirely_
contained on the local server?  Better yet, can anyone explain to me why the
ITSM 7.5 developers would have used it at all on an application that is
supposed to run on a single server?  I have an idea, but I'd like to hear from
someone else who has started picking through the ITSM 7.5 app for points of
customization, especially after upgrading a lightly customized 7.0.03 app to
7.5.01.

I am rebuilding my customizations to the HPD:INC:VISAction workflow for
Incident Management, since in 7.0 this loads views from HPD:Help Desk but in
7.5 it uses views from the new display-only form, HPD:Help Desk Dialogs.  All
of the customizations involve including custom fields, or essential OOTB fields
the developers forgot to include (like Login ID, i.e. Remedy Login ID), in the
dialog operations.

For example, in the 7.0.03 active link
HPD:INC:VISAction_100_CreateGoToInvestigation, the Data Source: is SERVER,
Server Name: is the local server FQDN, Form Name: is HPD:Help Desk, and the
Form View Name: is Dialog View - Create (Simple) which is where we implemented
many of our customizations.

In the same active link in 7.5.01, the Data Source: is SAMPLE DATA, Sample
Server Name: is still the local server FQDN, Sample Form Name: is HPD:Help Desk
Dialogs, Runtime Server Value: is $SERVER$, Runtime Form Value: is
$z1D_VISTargetForm$, and the Runtime Form View Value: is
$z1D_VISProcessFlowView$.

Is this a new way to open a dialog with one form but populate it with values
from another?  If so, where do you go to find the values that are going to be
used at runtime?  In this case, I cannot tell what the variables
$z1D_VISTargetForm$ and $z1D_VISProcessFlowView$ represent.  Clicking on all
three of the expansion boxes (including Runtime Server Value:) brings up the
same Field/Keyword Selector dialog pointing at HPD:Help Desk form with every
field listed and nothing selected.  They don't appear to contain useful
information in reading what the workflow object is going to do, so they don't
appear to be useful for altering it. What am I missing here??

Maybe this makes perfect sense when you are building it from scratch, but I am
trying to decipher what they were doing when they built the OOTB object - after
the fact, so that I can modify it properly.  Of course, it's not that
surprising considering that out of 11 new active links they defined in this
set, 4 were installed by the upgrade as disabled, meaning that they never
cleaned up this code when they were done before moving it to the installer.
Quality!  It's like buying a new house and finding broken tools, wood, nails,
sawdust, and fast food packaging all shoved into the walls.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/