From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Rod Harris
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:15 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ITSM 7.0.3 - Tracking Work Effort

Hi Tauf,

I had the same issue. It was surprising that it was difficult to
report against the increments of time properly.

I solved it in four simple steps.

1. Create a new integer field to track time increments on the incident
2. Create a filter that fires everytime the existing time field is
modified. ( 'AssigneeEffortDurationSeconds' !=
'DB.AssigneeEffortDurationSeconds') The filter reads the existing time
total from the matching assignment log entry and subtracts this from
the new value to calculate the incremental time increment.
3. Audit the new field
4. Create a join form that joins an incident with its audit form. Add
any fields you would like to report against.

The new join form now contains all of the incident data you need
combined with the value of the time increment each time it is changed
and the userid of the user that changed it as well as a timestamp.
With this data you can build reports that track time spent on tickets
in a very detailed way.

Hope this is enough to help you. Let me know if you need more details.

Good luck. I think you will find that this minor change is well worth
the effort.

Rod Harris

2009/11/25 Chowdhury, Tauf <tauf.chowdh...@frx.com>:
> **
>
> All,
>
> Here is the dilemma... I'll use Incident Management as an example but really,
> it affects all modules.
>
> 1.       The assignee of an incident does some work on the request on week
> 1. In the work effort, he/she puts in 10 minutes spent.
>
> 2.       On week 2, the assignee does 20 minutes of work and updates the
> effort log.
>
> 3.       The system creates a single record for the assignee when the 1st 10
> minutes was submitted in week 1 and creates a record in the Work effort
> form.
>
> 4.       For the 2nd week, the system updates that same record and adds 20
> minutes and so we have a total of 30 minutes.
>

> The problem that our organization is running into is this.
>
> 1.       We run weekly reports on how much time is spent on requests.
>
> 2.       For tickets that are opened and closed in the same week, the
> reports work fine.
>
> 3.       However, for the scenario mentioned above, it pretty much falls
> apart.
>
> 4.       Week 1 shows that the assignee did 10 minutes of work on this
> incident.
>
> 5.       Week 2 shows that assignee did 30 minutes of work for this incident
> when really, it was just 20. (This is the problem).
>

> Has anyone else dealt with something like this?
>
> What I was thinking as a possible solution is to piggy back off of the OOB
> workflow and do the following:
>
> 1.       Create a custom form that can be used to collect work effort info
> about all the modules in this 1 form.
>
> 2.       Build workflow that creates a record in the custom form much like
> the work effort forms and updates the record only for a given week. Once the
> next week starts and someone updates work effort for an older incident, a
> new record is created on this form and the process continues.
>

> Any other ideas would be helpful.
>
> Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving for those who are observing in the States!
>

> Tauf Chowdhury | Forest Laboratories, Inc.
>
> Analyst, Service Management
>
> Informatics-Infrastructure
>
> Office: 631.858.7765
>
> Mobile:646.483.2779
>

> ________________________________

This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc.
proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to
copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to
the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this
e-mail and any printout.