From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:22 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Push Field Question

Mark,

It has been a while since I looked at this specific detail of how ARS
work flow deals with diary fields. So I am working from memory and it
is a bit crusty...

I think....
 If the user updates the field with a new entry then only the new
entry is sent in the Push action.
 If the user does NOT update the field then the whole field's contents are
sent.

And I vaguely think that there may also be differenece in how Active
Links vs Filters deal with this condition too. ( AKA: Maybe the above
logic was for Active Links and not filters? )

And you may even find difference in specific versions/patches over the
years too.

As others have suggested, I think the best way to control this is to
capture the data in a separate field and have work flow append it to
the Diary field when necessary. That design approach will allow you to
be able to maintain an independent control over just the new content
as part of the transaction.

However, if you are designing around how an ARS Diary field works,
then maybe it is time to stop using them? (Like BMC appears to have
done in the latest versions of their applications.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Brittain, Mark <mbritt...@navisite.com>
wrote:
> **
> HI All,
>
> I have a case were there is a filter that does a push field on
submit/modify
> that includes the entry from a diary field.  The problem is the entire
diary
> field is being pushed when all I want is the latest update. Is there away
> do that?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

> Mark Brittain
> Remedy Developer
> NaviSite
> mbritt...@navisite.com
> (315) 453-2912 x5418 (Phone)
> (315) 317.2897 (Cell)
> Reduce Cost of IT with Managed Hosting and Application Services from
> NaviSite.
> Visit www.NaviSite.com Today.

___
UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org