Another option is to use the capabilities of your database.  For instance on
Oracle you could use a SQL Set Fields with a regex type of statement.

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Rod Harris
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:23 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Help with Filter Functions

Hi Kevin,

You have found correctly that the string functions don't support
wildcards/regular expression functionality. The [a-z] wildcard is
supported by the LIKE operator however. You can create a simple loop
via a filter guide to move through the string until you come across a
matching lowercase letter, then exit the loop and the number of
iterations is the position of the character.

Rod