Jason,
Thanks for passing this on! I've been using Dev Studio for a year now but I'm
always grateful for insight from others.

Russ Grant

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:59:32 -0800
From: jason.mil...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Big fan of Remedy Developer Studio?
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

**

We went live with ARS 7.5 last
April.  At that time I figured I might as well get used to this thing
called the Dev Studio and force myself to use it unless I absolutely could not
(yes there are still a few bugs that require the Admin Tool to make a change).

It did take a few weeks to get used to and it did slow my production down a
little while I was learning the features.  Now that is over I love
it!!!!  There are a number of things that can be done much faster in the
Dev Studio.  There are a handful of things that do take a little long or
may require a few more clicks but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hopefully this will help those who are still getting used to the Dev Studio.

One
     of the first things is to Minimize all of the windows that are Restored by
     default.  This is a great help with the workspace size issues.
     I do a lot of development on my laptop without any problem.I minimize
every window (tab).  Once minimized an
      icon is sent to one of margins surrounding the application and grouped by
      Shortcut Bars.  Click on the appropriate icon to show that
      tab.  It will automatically minimize once you move away from it
      (such as opening a form/AL/Filter/etc).I find that initially opening a
tab that lists objects
      from the icon, that the viewing area is a little small vertically.
      You can easily drag the bottom down to make it larger.  I have not
figured out if I can set the
      default size as a preference.Press
     the period key to move a fieldThis was a major frustration point at first
until I
      figured out how to move a field with the arrow keys.  Selecting a field
and pressing an arrow
      key used to move the field now it just selects the next field making it
impossible
      to nudge fields around.Select a field(s) and then press the period key.
Now you can arrow the field(s) around.
Be careful not to bump your mouse while you are moving
      field with the arrow keys, they’ll jump around the form very
      quickly.  Just press Esc to cancel the
      move.I just found this out 5 minutes ago… Keep pressing the
      period key and it will change what property you are changing (position,
Field
      Width, Data Length)Moving between fields could be really handy if I could
      figure out how to open/get to the properties without using my mouse (you
      can navigate and set properties from the keyboard).Setting
     the form sizeThis was another pain point until I figured out how to
      do it.Open a form, click Layout from the menu bar then Show
      Actual View Size.  You will now have
      some handles to drag the form to the size you want.Once you get used to
this it is a nice feature because
      you have to purposely change the size of your form vs. using the last
      size it was saved at.One note:  Ctrl+Alt+M
      is supposed to toggle this mode on and off.  I find that I have to choose
Show
      Actual View Size from the menu the first time after opening a form and
      then the key combination will start to work.The
     Working Lists replaces the View By Form functionalityRight Click on the
Working List node and select
      "New View by Form List.  Save
      it and add the forms you want to see.Then double click the new Working
List to open (Right
      click to edit the forms)Single
     List, View by Type and View by FormWhen you are working in a Working List
or Application
      there are 3 buttons in the upper right corner.  These change how the
      objects are grouped.Single List:  lists all objects together.  Very nice
to sort by Modified time and
       you can see all objects (Forms, Filters, ALs, Menus) that were recently
changed. By Type:  Groups objects by Type.  This is what we are used to in the
Admin
       Tool, Forms grouped together, all Active Links grouped together, etc.By
Form:  Groups objects by their primary form.
Combining these with the Filter Options is a very
      quick way to find objects (copy and paste from a def/log file)OutlineThis
will show all fields in the view that is active
Clicking a field will automatically jump that the field
      on the form.  From there you can
      quickly click the Properties button.There are two options for how you
view the Outline.Tree Overview:  Will show the fields in hierarchical
       format in relation to their parent container.  A page holder (AKA a
panel) will have its
       pages listed below it.  Below that
       Attachment Pools and Table fields will have their attachments or column
       listed below them.Table Overview:  Shows Field ID, Name and Label.  You
can sort by any of these columns!
Tab OrderYou can now
      set the Tab Order by changing an integer property of fields (Select and
      Edit) or by clicking on the objects in the same tab order you want
      (Increment on Click).FindCtrl + F with a form open will bring up the Find
Field
      dialog.  Here you can find a field
      by entering a Label, Name or Field ID.The
     content assist featureThis is a form auto complete that many IDEs already
      have.Ctrl+M to maximize an object and
     hide to other tabs.  I find that I
     do this less since I minimize the tabs first thing and have more working
     space.Now that I
      think about it, this is a really quick way to minimize all of the tabs in
      bullet 1Multiple field propertiesThere is more that can be done to
multiple fields at once and a little less cumbersome.  You can grab a group of
field and drag
      the handle to increase or decrease their size at once.  You can even
select multiple fields from
      the Outline field list and adjust properties.Obviously you
      can change only shared properties that make sense if you have different
field
      types selected.  (Permissions,
      views, hidden/visible, label location)Much
     more Copy and Paste capabilities.  Most
     properties and references are text fields where you can copy text.Run
Process library
You can
      select a run process from within the Dev Studio.  No more looking to the
workflow guide
      to find the exact Run Process syntax.There is
      even documentation as to what the RP does and some examples

HTH,

Jason