From: "Mueller, Doug" [doug_muel...@bmc.com]
Date: 04/22/2010 03:56 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Search Results Returned Limit

** Kali,

How things work depends on the version of the AR System  server you are using.

Older servers (pre about 2005)

The DB query searches and builds its internal list, our  code then gets the
next item from the list in a loop
adding them to a memory structure for return to the  client.  When we hit the
limit, we stop retrieving from  the
DB and return the list.  HOWEVER, the entire query at  the DB level was run.
But, you never got more than
the limit loaded into the server and never more than the  limit across the wire.

Newer servers -- and which version depends on which  database (and I don't have
a list)

The DBs have added extra syntax to allow you to control the  query run.  Top
and MaxRows are the types of
clauses you can add depending on the DB.  The AR  System server uses these
clauses as appropriate when
a limit (either a server limit or client limit) has been  specified.  This
tells the DB to stop searching once  the
limit has been reached and you save the DB continuing to  gather items into its
queue.  There is no change
at the AR System level about retrieval, it gets up to the  limit and stops.
There is no change on the wire, still
only the limit requested goes.  The change is that the  DB stops the search
faster and so saves time at the
DB level.

NOTE: If you specify sorting and there is no index on the  sort column the DB
will likely still get the entire list because it needs to do  that to do the
sort to then select the top items.  So, generally and for  most queries,
the limit will help at the DB level but sometimes it will  not.

If you want to know if your AR System version is late  enough to take advantage
of the extra clause....

Set a limit
Turn on logging
Issue a query that finds more than the  limit
Turn off logging
Look at the log to see if the extra clause is  present

I know, pretty sophisticated isn't it!

Doug Mueller