Another situation is query unions....we have several locations in our app
where we need to union several searches together into a single resultset,
not possible within the Remedy architecture.

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Joe D'Souza
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:48 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ARERR 299 Too many levels in filter processing

To do what you need to do when all else fails or if it is impossible to do
it directly..

I once had the requirement in a multi tenant environment (Submitter mode
locked) to change the contents of field 2.. Only and admin user was to have
the permissions to change that. How would you be able to do it from within
the ARS if the workflow didn't run a Direct SQL?

Other times I use it is when I'm dead sure using it would save time and that
chances are bleak that the syntax would ever change.. Simple update or set
statements that are hardly likely to change in syntax on that database or if
you move across from databases are fine to use..

Counting records in a table is another example where I'd rather use a Direct
SQL than the ARS as it would be way faster.. And what are the chances that
the count(*) function would ever change when used in a select statement?

So there are exceptions such as that where some things are just not possible
without resorting to Direct SQL. It is like a 911 call.. Just because you
have that option you do not call it for recreational purposes..

Joe