From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Reiser, John J
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:49 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Using a Table field as a matrix ( long post )

Hello Listers,
ARS 7.1 Patch 4
MS SQL 2005
Windows Enterprise 2003?

I have a customer who is requesting a matrix type table to be added to a
form.
Here's the scenario.
Submit a Training Request record.
This is a generic Helpdesk form with multiple page tabs.
One tab is called Classroom

The customer will Select a Training Category and Type.
They will pick a date and duration ( hours ) for the training session.
This constitutes a Session_GUID.

As the Students arrive they will be linked to the Session as Attendees.
This is ok if there is only one session for the request.

The table will list the Training Date in column 1 the attendee in column 2.
The Session_GUID is a hidden column.

The issue occurs if training is done in multiple sessions.
Then they want the table to be Start Date in column 1, attendee in column 2,
Attendance Session1 in column 3, Attendance Session2 in column 4 etc.
I don't expect there to be more than 4 or 5 Sessions but that is not a
guarantee.
So I could have something like this:
Start Date  |   Attendee   |  Session 1  | Session 2 | --- | Session n
06/16/2010  | Reiser, John |     Y       |    N      |     |
06/16/2010  | Smith, Roger |     Y       |    Y      |     |
So if there was a Session 3, 4 or 5 or 10. They want to see it in the same
line.

The only thing that I can think of is to make the Sessions (1 - n) a
character field and concatenate the students attendance with the pipe
character "|" delimiting them.

They also want the total hours spent in training for each student. By
Session, By training request and also all training the student has taken.

I think I have that covered because the student attendance is a factor of
the session time and whether or not they attended that session ( many GUIDs
in this one)

Would this be handled better as a Tree View. I've never worked with a table
in tree view. I know it won't give me the neat matrix layout but
conceptually it should give me:
        ->Attendee
                ->Session 1
                ->Session 2
                ->Session n
Is that correct? If this works I may be able to sell them on the tree view.

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post.

---
John J. Reiser
Senior Software Development Analyst
Remedy Administrator/Developer
Lockheed Martin - MS2
The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Pay close attention and be illuminated by its brilliance. - paraphrased by
me

___
UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org