We have built several complete ARS 7.5. systems on 2008 R2 x64, with all of the
supporting servers for mid-tier and RKM also starting out as 2008 R2, and over
the last 9-10 months we have seen enough odd behaviors with permissions to log
files and processes that don't seem to run unless the correct user account is
currently logged in (MAPI Email for one) that we have decided to go live for
production with all app servers on 2003 x64 or 2003 R2 x64 instead.  The BMC
installers don't always run properly on 2008 R2 (and I mean the full ITSM
Suite, so include things like Analytics, Dashboards, and Remedy Knowledge
Management), and the installed apps continue to have permissions problems after
installation such that I don't think that BMC has figured out the nuances of
working in a Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 world yet - where account permissions
are MUCH tighter.  The client tools have the same problem, installing into
paths under one logged in user account that they do not have write permissions
to when run under a different logged in user.  Hopefully they will get that all
figured out for 7.6.3, but after months of testing I do not trust ARS 7.5 /
ITSM Suite 7.6 components to run reliably in a 2008 R2 environment.  We only
got the clients (User, Studio, Import, Migrator) to work reliably on Windows 7
and 2008 R2 by pointing ALL of their paths to a common C:\Home directory that
ALL user accounts had full permission to.

The SQL Server 2008 Enterprise x64 engine behind the ARSystem db, running on
Windows 2008 R2 x64, has been rock solid; we will go live on that.  We have
also seen SQL Server 2008 x64 (installed on Windows 2003 R2 x64 servers) run
fine under RKM and Analytics/BOXI (if you can get the Analytics 7.6.01
installer to work at all - it was DOA here).  You have to have the 7.6.01
version of Dashboards to talk to SQL Server 2008, however, so we only recently
got that to work.

You may have better luck with 2008 R2 than we have, but for now we will only be
using it for the database servers.  Upgrading the ARS and ITSM components is
more than hard enough without the quirks of a new (and not really supported) OS
complicating things.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/