What version of ITSM are you utilizing? This always helps in a proper
answer...

However, there is no method of "increasing the LENGTH" of the incident
number in the earlier versions of the system as it utilizes Field-1. In
later versions of ITSM this is a different field and could be (not
suggested) customized to increase the length. However with that said...

All tickets have a "character prefix" like "HPD..." or "INC..." should you
fill the remaining 12 characters (that would mean 999,999,999,999 tickets in
the system) you could alter the prefix to something like "HPDa" and then you
will have 99,999,999,999 tickets.

However with that said - the caveat is the Field-1 unique entry ID.

A "Select count(*) from..." sql statement will tell you how many rows you
"really" have in the table.

HTH
Robert