From: Ramey, Anne [mailto:anne.ra...@nc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:03 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Cc: remedy.its.support
Subject: intermittent ERROR (91): RPC call failed; ONC/RPC call timed out

I am at a loss about a problem we are seeing.  We've been seeing intermittent
issues with our mid tier servers.  We have two mid tier servers and two server
grouped ARS servers.  Every so often we get errors:
ERROR (91): RPC call failed; ONC/RPC call timed out

for some users on one of the mid-tier servers for about 2 hours, then it will
clear up by itself.  It's not always the same users nor always the same of the
two mid-tier servers, but it is always just one mid-tier server at a time.  The
mid-tier are talking to a load balancer in front of the ARS servers and go
through a firewall.  The users going through the same firewall and load
balancer to get to the ARS servers via the user tool and never see the issue.
Users on the other mid-tier don't have any issues at that time.  So far we have:

-Turned off all other processes running on the mid-tier box (including
monitoring)
-Turned off TCP SACK (selective acknowledgement)
-Reviewed mid-tier logs with everything on the finest level (there is nothing
in the tomcat or ARS logs at the time that appears to be related)
-Looked at firewall logs and network traffic
-Restarted network interface on the box

I am running the following config:
-Linux RHEL 4 OS
-ARS 7.1 p 6 mid-tier
-ARS 7.1 p 11 ARS servers
-CMDB 2.1 p 4
-ITSM 7.0.03 p9

This started happening a couple of months ago but has become more and more
frequent.  This was happening back before we upgraded the ARS servers from p 6
to p 11.  It doesn't seem to be on a certain day of week or a certain time of
day.  It does always seem to go on for between 2 and 3 hours and clear itself
up.

Any idea of where to look next will be *greatly* appreciated.

Anne Ramey
E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties only by an
authorized State Official.