You can use SQL to validate, or a regular expression looping through all the
possible characters in the value.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:49:55 -0400
From: h...@idirect.net
Subject: 'ISNUMBER' function?
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

**

All,

I wish Remedy provide some kind of function like ‘ISNUMBER’

I have a character field ‘Serial Number’,  I
want to know If the value of this field is a character value or number value. If
it is all digit, I need to convert it to integer then apply some workflows based
on the data range..

I created an integer field  ‘Int_temp’ and
assign ‘Serial Number’ to this integer field  ‘Int_temp’
= $Serial Number$; Below are the result I got

Serial Number                  Int_temp

67A908675                          67

A6789A00006                     0

0000067859                         67859

If the result is 0, I know the Serial number  must be a
character value.  But for Serial number 67A908675, the result is 67, even
the serial number is a character value with the value of 67A908675 .  So, is
there any easy way to find out if a Character field is number or not?

Thanks,

Huiqing

This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains

information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary

and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual

or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original

recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
 intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email

in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
 copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email

in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

_attend WWRUG10 www.wwrug.com  ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are"_